Saturday, June 26, 2010

Family Drama

A little background: I am the oldest of five kids in my family. There are four girls and one boy. My middle sister, K, has been battling with some mental health issues for a LONG time. She is bipolar, although some therapists have hinted that she does have symptoms of a personality disorder. When K is having a good day, she can be so sweet and kind. When she is having a bad day, she is completely the opposite. She tends to be VERY impulsive and anything that goes wrong is never her fault. She has been known to meet guys online and instantly fall in love with them/want to marry them, etc. The online dating started when she was probably 15 or so. Now she is 18, so still pretty young. For the past few months, K has been dating a guy, J, she met online who is 26 and very controlling.

Last night, K moved out of my parents house unexpectedly. My mom called her out on how she had stolen $150 from my brother, and I guess that has caused her to act out and it was just the last straw that she could handle. She told my parents that she is moving in with one of J's friends, but we are all pretty sure that she is moving in with J. She wouldn't leave any information about how to get in touch with her. Normally, it wouldn't be too bad for an 18 year old to move out, but we are all pretty worried about K. She doesn't have a car, a cell phone, or a job. She doesn't do well if she doesn't take her meds. She obviously can't afford to live on her own, so how is she going to pay for it? Or, is her payment going to be in sex? I hate having to type that about my sister, but it is a valid concern.

We are hoping that she will realize how good she had it at my parent's house and come home in a few days or weeks. Hopefully it won't be that she is coming home because she is KU, been abused, or some other reason. Hopefully she will realize that she made a mistake. I think it would be great for her to get her own place, but not under these conditions.

7 comments:

  1. Oh gosh. I'm so sorry. Is there any way that you could talk to her? Like you said, I hope that she realizes that she made a huge mistake and goes back home.

    Keep us posted, ok? I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! That sounds like a bad situation. I hope she comes home soon, and not for the wrong reasons, as you mentioned. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be so hard to have a sibling who struggles like that. I have a sister who has borderline personality (a lot like bipolar) and it can be so hard to watch her swing from thing to thing. I hope your sister is able to come out of this situation okay!

    ICLW #69

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I can totally see your concerns. I hope you guys find a way to contact her and talk her into coming back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds just heart-breakingly difficult. I do hope that leaving like this makes her realise what she's left!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you & your family are going through this stress. I hope for your sister's sake that she is ok. Good luck!
    ICLW #75

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog. So sorry that your family is going through this. I can't imagine how difficult this is for all of you. Hope your sister comes home soon.

    ReplyDelete