Wednesday, March 16, 2011

4 Month Check-Up


I took J in for his 4 month check-up with the pediatrician yesterday, and everything went really well! He is still definitely tall and skinny. He is in the 75th percentile for his height, but only the 11th for his weight. The doctor said he isn't concerned about his weight because he has grown since his last check-up, but he did ask us if we knew anything about J's biological father. His thoughts right now is that J probably just inherited being tall and thin. We don't know anything about J's biological father. I have been thinking that I would ask K about it, but I get a little nervous since she hasn't shared anything at all about him with us. But I figured if I present it as the doctor wanting to know, it shouldn't be too bad.

Another good thing from the appointment is that the pediatrician said we could skip rice cereal and go straight to baby food. Apparently there are new guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics that discourage rice cereal because it has no nutritional value. I was so relieved since J has hated rice cereal, but has really liked baby food. Hopefully eating baby food more will help him gain some weight!

Besides that, not much is new with me. I have enjoyed having my news be public, but I have heard a lot of "that always happens when you adopt" or "and you thought you could never get pregnant" comments from people that I talk to. I have started just saying things like "That is what I hear" or "That's what people tell me" rather than going into all the details. I know they are just excited, but it still gets old and frustrating.

4 comments:

  1. yay for another good check up for J! He's such a cutie!

    the comments are so annoying, i'm sorry you have to put up with them. but hooray for your news being public :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the appt went well! And so sorry about the ridiculous comments. You are so good to take it in stride. I don't know what I would say, seriously, and I think I'd have a hard time having it not make my blood boil :). I know, not healthy and you need to focus on being healthy, so ignore my comment, or let the anger live through me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another response for the 'that always happens when you adopt' people, a tired 'Oh I'd never heard that before'.

    I'm so happy bother your bubs are thriving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God he is adorable!

    I bet those comments kill you. I told my DH that if we ever get pregnant with a surprise baby that I would lie and say we'd done IVF just so that people wouldn't say "I told you if you relaxed you'd get pregnant."

    ReplyDelete