Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Back from the RE

My appointment this morning went really well, but I am feeling I bit overwhelmed. Dr. G was great! He listened to all of our concerns and answered all of our questions without making us feel rushed. He seemed to be very thorough and validated what I was feeling, which is exactly what I needed.

After looking at my history, Dr. G is concerned that I may be a carrier of a chromosomal balance translocation. My mom was diagnosed with this when she was trying to have kids (she had 8 m/c, but ended up with 5 kids). If that is the case, I would likely have a 2/3 chance of having a m/c each time I get pg. This problem causes increased m/c rates and infertility because there is an increased chance that my eggs have inherited this trait. If they inherit the trait, they would likely not survive. I guess I would only have a healthy and successful pregnancy if the egg was either a carrier or not affected at all. He has recommended that I undergo some chromosomal karotyping testing to determine if this is the situation. If it is the case, he recommended that we have IVF. However, each of our embryos would have to have their own chromosomal testing done to make sure that they didn’t implant any that were already prone to m/c. This means that our IVF would go from about $12,000 to $17,000!!! Ouch!!!

If I don’t have this problem, Dr. G will start me on Clomid. He looked at my charts and said that while my cycles are okay, they aren’t great. So, maybe all I would need is some increased egg production and a little bit more regular cycles. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is all we need! I was really glad that he looked at my charts. He actually thinks that we might have conceived at least once since the m/c, but the pg didn’t last long enough for me to get a BFP from POAS. He is actually having me go in today for some b/w to see if I am pg right now.

So, I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the thought of maybe having to jump straight to IVF. I never would have thought I would be in this situation. I want to be a mom so badly, but I don’t know how we could afford $17,000 right now for just a chance at a baby. It makes me wonder if at that point, we would consider adoption. I know that I am getting way ahead of myself. I just need to get the karotyping done and go from there. But, before I can even do that, I need to see if the insurance will pay for it. Apparently it is about a $2000 test. After I have the blood work drawn, it will take two or three weeks to get the results back.

For the meanwhile, I guess we are just holding tight and hoping for the best. I am hoping that my labs come back negative for this chromosome problem. I have a follow-up appointment set for a month, so we’ll keep our fingers crossed and see what happens!


  1. What a heavy consult. I really hope that you aren't a carrier and can just get going on clomid. My mind would be going a million miles a minute if I were you too, that is so much to think about.

    Any idea how soon you could have the test and how long it takes to get the results?

    thinking of you.

  2. WOW. I am sorry you got the outcome so soon. I wish you the best of luck and hope that test is negative!

  3. Your doctor may be able to make the case that it will make things cheaper for them on the long run because they will not be paying for lots of MCs in the future, but we all now how they work. I really, really hope that you test negative. I want that so much for you. I understand exactly what you mean with the IVF, for us, it isn't even an option ever. I will tbe thinking of you guys and sending vibes for a nice negative test.

  4. Thanks for the update. Sorry it's so complicated and potentially that expensive. Ugh. Big hugs & thinking of you...

  5. crossing my fingers for you too